Vastu For Temple
We find that some temples are progressive and some continue to have declining status and mishaps. The non adherance to temple vastu can be a major reason in the state of affairs.
The following are some salient points:
- The principal shrine should face the rising sun and so should have its entrance to the east. From the east appears the rising sun, the destroyer of darkness. The sun is the giver of life. It brings joy and happiness and is the watchful eye of the “Cosmic Being.”
- The vastu shastra states that a building with improper proportions and wrong orientation will create an environment which is conducive to disturbances like disease, death and destruction, and may be inhabited by subtle entities with envious and deceitful natures. Exceptions are allowed in cases with proximity to mountains , lakes and rivers. The Siva idol can face West and Vishnu always to East.
Vaastu Tips For Temple
- If the temple premises there are smaller temples of other Gods, only the temple of Lord Hanuman, Lord Dakhinamurty and the Goddess Kali can have face towards the south.
- Lotus ponds in front of the temple should be in the north-east direction.
- Before entering the temple premises, on the south side, there should be an arrangement for keeping shoes and to the east arrangements should be made for water to drink and to wash the feet and hands etc. The bathrooms should be in the east.
- The plot of the temple should be square or rectangular in shape.
- Compound wall around the temple in all the four directions is very essential. Entrance gate on the east side of the compound wall is the best. Entrance gate on the north side is tolerable. It is very auspicious to have four entrance gates to the main temple building. At least one in the east and one in the north if there are two gates and if there is only one it should be in the east. Only it should not be in the south direction.
- The main entrance gate should be taller than other doors and should be decorated.
- There should be a window to the east of the sanctuary such that sunrays fall unobtrusively on the idol from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. There should be no room behind the sanctuary. There should be arrangement for circumambulation around the temple and the sanctuary.
- The sanctuary of the main God should be at a higher level from the ground. The devotees should not touch the idol.
- If such places are situated on a tall hill or mountain, the population is thin. This helps in maintaining the austerity of the God. The shadow of the temple should not fall on other buildings. In front of the temple there should be no building of any type. These objectives are fulfilled on a hill or mountain.
- Marriage ceremony and any other ceremony should not be performed in the temple premises. If at all they are performed, it should be in the open space around the temple in the west or in the south side.
- God owns and shops should be in the north-west part, Water storage tanks, wells etc. should be in the north-east part, Kitchen, rest houses etc. should be in the south-east portion.
- Charity boxes or pots in the temple should be in the east or the north. The divine gift place should be in the east or the north-east.
- The bell should not be in the sanctuary. It should be outside the sanctuary.
- If there is a sea, river, tank etc. in the east or the north direction, such a plot is, the best place. Because of this, there is natural slope in the east or the north directions.